Monday 26 July 2010

A Nuthatch is a real treat

I know it is a common bird in many gardens, but not so common in ours. This is the first one spotted in our garden this year and it could be as long as two years ago since our last sighting here, I'm afraid I wasn't keeping records before I started this blog, and years do seem to blur together now too, so another great reason for doing this blog.


This nuthatch has been visiting our bird feeders all afternoon.



Another new bird for this year also made its debut appearance today; a willow warbler, which chases the great tits off the feeder and any perch they might find in the hedge. We observed the same behaviour last year, and I really don't understand it. I thought willow warblers were insect eaters not seed eaters so I am presuming it isn't for the food, and why just the great tits which are so much larger than the warbler too.
This is happening far too quickly to get a picture, but if last year is anything to go by this will continue for a good week or so, so I might still manage to get some photos later!

1 comment:

  1. I love nuthatches. I used to have two but fear they perished in the winter. Last week one turned up (or should I say down) on the peanut feeder. Definitely not one of the previous pair as this was very nervous whereas they never seemed phased by anything,

    ReplyDelete